Khaled Meshaal, the leader of Hamas, has said that more than 1,000 Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons will be released in exchange for the captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit.
Hamas reached a deal with Israel on Tuesday for the release 1,027 prisoners in exchange for Shalit, who was captured in 2006 and has since been held in the Gaza Strip, Meshaal said in a televised address.
“This is a national achievement that we should be proud of,” said Meshaal who was speaking from Damascus, the Syrian capital.
The Israeli Cabinet approved the prisoner swap after a stormy late-night meeting, with 26 ministers voting in favour and three opposing it.
In Gaza, thousands poured out onto the streets in Jabaliya where celebratory gunfire and car horns could be heard all around, Al Jazeera’s Nicole Johnston said.
“It’s really important to remember that the first part of the siege on Gaza really started after the capture of Gilad Shalit and intensified after Hamas won the elections and took power in Gaza,” Johnston said.
“The people in Gaza have had very much to bear the brunt of the capture of Shalit with a five-year-long siege, which means they haven’t been let out of Gaza, exports and imports have been severely restricted, and for some time hardly anything was allowed in.”
Meshaal said the detainees, among them 27 women, will be freed in two phases: the first phase will see the release of 450 “in one week” and in the second phase another 550 will be freed “in two months”.
The list of 1,027 includes 315 prisoners who have been sentenced to life, the result of negotiators giving “priority to those who have spent over 20 years” in jail, he said.
“We were very keen for this deal to include prisoners from across different categories, from different age groups and from the West Bank and Gaza, from Jerusalem and the Golan [Heights].”
He also stressed that the deal reflected the unity of the Palestinian people, and vowed to fight until “the day all Palestinians imprisoned in Israel are freed.
Two high-profile prisoners — Marwan Barghouti, the influential Fatah leader, and Ahmed Sa’adat, head of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine — will not be released as part of the swap deal, Yoram Cohen, the head of Israel’s Shin Bet intelligence service, said.
Meshaal’s address came soon after that of Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, in which he said “Our son will be home in the coming days,” in reference to Shalit.
Negotiations were initiated in Cairo on Thursday under the mediation of Egyptian security and intelligence officials, and an agreement was signed earlier on Tuesday, Netanyahu said.
Later in a tweet, Netanyahu thanked “the Egyptian government and its security forces for their role in mediation and concluding the deal”.
Meshaal, the Hamas chief, also thanked Egypt, as well as Qatar, Turkey, Syria and Germany which he said had all been involved in the negotiations.
Egypt is lapping up all the credit and praise, at a time where the interim ruling military council has been facing much criticism from its public, Al Jazeera’s Sherine Tadros reported from Cairo.
Israel had made previous attempts to free Shalit through a prisoner swap with Hamas, but talks became bogged down over disagreements about who Israel might free, with both sides blaming one another.
“In previous times when we felt very close to a Shalit deal – especially a year ago when I was in fact in Gaza – the major sticking point was that the Palestinians felt it was the Egyptians who had faltered on what they offered Israelis,” our correspondent said.
“But the Arab Spring in Egypt has changed dynamics to a point where both the sides felt they could deal with the Egyptians.”
The authorities in Cairo knew how important it was for them to have this kind of trust, and they could expect to make a lot of political capital out of the deal, she added.
Reporting from Jerusalem, Al Jazeera’s Cal Perry said both Meshaal and Netanyahu had said “oddly similar things”.
“They both said that this deal was a unifying moment, both claiming a victory in their own right.”
The swap deal comes at a pragmatic time for Netanyahu, who is struggling with his country’s deteriorating relations with Cairo, our correspondent said.
Secondly, as prime minister of a country where military service is mandatory, Netanyahu had been under immense pressure from the Shalit family to secure his release, he added.
“Every Israeli rallies around the armed forces here and nationally it’s a huge issue – Shalit, the man himself, has become the issue.”
National Transitional Council (NTC) forces have made a breakthrough in their campaign to capture Sirte, the hometown of deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi that has become the key battleground in their final push to control the country.
Al Jazeera’s Tony Birtley, reporting from close to the frontline on Tuesday afternoon, said that fighters had “punched through the last line of defence”, a wall surrounding the heart of the city, and were within 200 metres of the centre.
The fighters had so far encountered light resistance and suffered no casualties but the fighting ahead was much more intense, our correspondent said.
The remaining Gaddafi loyalists were staging a fierce rearguard action and had “a lot of ammunition and a lot of resolve”, Birtley said.
The advancing fighters had found a lot of discarded weapons and uniforms and had captured a number of black Libyans who said they were civilians. But NTC fighters believed they were Gaddafi soldiers, our correspondent said.
“This is a heartland of Gaddafi’s support but that now is crumbling. The hold they have on Sirte is crumbling by the minute.”
Earlier, Abdul Salam Javallah, commander of NTC units from eastern Libya, told the Reuters news agency that Gaddafi forces inside the Mediterranean city were cornered in two neighbourhoods near the sea.
“We are dealing with them now with light weapons because there are still families inside,” he said.
There are fears the fighting could breed long-term hostility, making it hard for the NTC to unite the vast North African state once the conflict is over.
By Al Arabiya with Agencies
U.S. agents have foiled what has been called a “significant terrorist act” linked to Iran which called for the assassination of the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the U.S. as well as the bombing of the Israeli and Saudi embassies in Washington.
A criminal complaint, unsealed in federal court in New York City, identified two alleged plotters, Manssor Arbabsiar and Gholam Shakuri.
Both were originally from Iran and Arbabsiar is a naturalized U.S. citizen, it said.
One of the Iranians in custody has confessed to the plot to kill the Saudi ambassador and provided information about involvement by factions of the Iranian government, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said as press conference.
The case, called Operation Red Coalition, began in May when an Iranian-American from Corpus Christi, Texas, approached a U.S. informant seeking the help of a Mexican drug cartel to assassinate the Saudi ambassador, according to counter-terrorism officials.
The Iranian-American thought he was dealing with a member of the feared Zetas Mexican drug organization, according to agents quoted by ABC News.
The report said bombings of the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Argentina were also discussed.
By Associated Press,
WASHINGTON — The Justice Department on Tuesday accused elements of the Iranian government of being involved in a plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States, and Attorney General Eric Holder said the U.S. would hold Iran accountable.
Two people, including a member of Iran’s special operations unit known as the Quds Force, were charged in New York federal court. Holder said the bomb plot was a flagrant violation of U.S. and international law.
“We will not let other countries use our soil as their battleground,” Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney in Manhattan, said at a press conference in Washington with Holder and FBI Director Robert Mueller.
Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old U.S. citizen who also holds an Iranian passport, was charged along with Gholam Shakuri, whom authorities said was a Quds Force member.
FBI Director Robert Mueller says many lives could have been lost in the plot to kill the ambassador with bombs in the U.S.
Holder said the U.S. government would be taking unspecified action against the Iranian government as early as Tuesday afternoon. Asked whether the plot was blessed by the top echelons of the Iranian government, Holder said the Justice Department was not making that accusation.